Monday, February 11, 2008

Place of my Greatest Temptations

This is the public library of Silver Spring, just six blocks away.   When I first saw the building I admit that I was depressed.  It was old and small.  First impressions can be very deceiving.  Montgomery County's library system is quick to transfer books from any of their branch locations.  Not to mention the whole collection of ebooks and audiobooks that they have available to download.  Yes, not only can I spend hours at the branch but I can also spend considerable time at the library without even going there.   I'm struggling with my life long library addiction.  I resolved this month to only go the library twice.  Homework is an ugly fact of my life at this point and time.
Soap box: In my classes we spend a considerable amount of time discussion the assumption that the public library is going to disappear now.  The internet makes the library obsolete.  Nobody needs books anymore.  Nonsense, the librarians cry!  Books are fun, easy to access and very portable.  The library is a place for the community to study, relax, pick up your tax forms, connect, ask questions and explore new possibilities.  The best news is that more and more libraries are offering their services and collections online.  When was the last time you went to you local library?

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Hey Maria! I found your blog through Kelley's and I love it. We've got a blog, too, and they're so much fun. My goal was also to post more pictures, since we live close to some cool places, too.

And I want to say that the last time I went to my public library was last week. I go every few weeks to get more books. Our library is TINY but they also have a system where all the libraries in the area can exchange books. I usually end up reserving books online, then when they come in I go and get them. I don't know what I would do without a library! Go crazy, I think!!

Jen said...

Oh how I love you!!! I miss the days of you not coming home and knowing that you were probably at the library because it was on your way home from work. By the way, I am going to email you right now!!! Love you!!!!!!!

Abs said...

So, love the blog. And libraries are important. I take JJ to a library every week for story time. She LOVES it. Plus our library has a audiovisual dept that is awesome. We checkout books on tape for our car trips and they have an awesome DVD section with free rentals. Can't beat that.

Maria said...

Thanks for being fabulous library patrons... and taxpayers!

Alyosha said...

I went today! I get books on CD and download them onto my iPod for washing dishes and running. I also get movies and even CD roms for the kdis, and of course, books. Our branch is really small, but you can order books from all the Davis county branches, which is cool.