Monday, February 7, 2011

Blessings and Miracles

While I was driving through Wyoming on Saturday with my Mom, hours from home, I hit some black ice. The gusting wind prevented me from correcting the fishtails. One 360 later the car rolled in the median.
The miracle is that both, my Mom and I, walked away with out a scratch. Nothing. Not even seat belt bruises. Let me just say now, always wear your seat belt! We had several great Samaritans that stopped to help us before the State Patrol and the tow truck arrived.

Dad and Christa drove up to rescue us. It was a modern reenactment of the rescue at Martin's Cove. (Martin's Cove is only 127 miles away from Wamsutter, where we were stranded.)* Christa renamed Mom and me, Willie and Martin.

Looking at the pictures again, just reminds me of how blessed we were. And that we have exceeded our roller-coaster quota for a foreseeable future.

*The Willie and Martin handcart companies were stranded in Wyoming by the arrival of an early winter. Brigham Young sent wagons and men from the Salt Lake Valley to rescue the distressed pioneers. My great-great grandfather, Robert Taylor Burton, was among the rescuers.

10 comments:

Tammy and Alvin said...

Oh my goodness! We are so glad that there is a happy ending to that story. We love you and your mom very much. How is your car feeling after the episode?

Sarah said...

Wow! I may never have the courage to drive in the snow again. I'm so glad you are both OK

Maria said...

The car is staying in Wamsutter until the Insurance agent can take a look.

Ice-Cold Goat's Milk said...

Whoa. Don't you ever do that again, understand?!?

Kyle and Eva said...

So scarey! Glad you are ok! Good luck with everything!

SuzyQ said...

So glad you were okay, and that I got to see you before you leave for 3 years. :)

And ... just wanted to say that my great-great grandmother and her family were among the rescued. ;)

Janell said...

WOW, Maria, my heart skipped a beat when I first saw those pictures... what a miracle you and your mom are ok. I am so relieved that you'll be okay to move forward with your new journey. Awesome in the literal sense!!!

Elise said...

Wow-glad to hear you are okay. What an adventure! Hopefully it will be boring and no more scares for a while! Good luck getting to you Korea!!

Amy Amini said...

There are better ways to get an adrenaline fix, Maria. Honestly. (!)

Holey Moley! I'm so glad you and your mom are okay! Here's to the rest of your journey being uneventful, eh?

You're in prayers!

Bonita said...

I'm a little late viewing this, but am so thankful you and your mom are alright! Good luck as you begin this new chapter in your life.